From International Dictionary of Marine Aids to Navigation
Jump to navigation Jump to search


Construction along the coast or banks of a river or lake, for protection against flooding.

Note: 1 In Britain a dike on the sea is called a sea-wall.

Note: 2 In France, the word digue is sometimes used in place of the word "jetee" when the construction protects an area of water within a harbour.

Please note that this is the term as it stands in the original IALA Dictionary edition (1970-1989)

International Association of Marine Aids to Navigation and Lighthouse Authorities - AISM