Buckling (of a strut or column)

From International Dictionary of Marine Aids to Navigation
Jump to navigation Jump to search


Horizontal deflection of a column or strut caused by an eccentric or excessive compressive vertical load.

Note: In French the phenomenon is called flambage and the resultant is called flambement.

Please note that this is the term as it stands in the original IALA Dictionary edition (1970-1989)